Poker has indeed come a long way. Gone are the days where the ways of Poker were unknown and only found in the land of China. Gone are the days of it being played in French dominion, being referred to as Poque. Long lost are days of it being a territorial game being played in the Wild Wild West, mostly in saloons along the Mississippi.
Poker game has transcended all such previous forms and cemented itself as a legendary game, outlasting regions and traditions. It has evolved into a game that can be accessed with the help of a stable internet connection from anywhere in the world. That’s Online Poker for you.
The modern version of the game is generally divided into two of its most popular forms- Texas Hold’em, and Omaha poker. Today, we dive deep into the world of Poker and navigate one of its most well-known formats, Pot Limit Omaha Poker game.
Its the number of hole cards differentiates between a game of Texas Hold’em and a game of Omaha. The Texas Hold’em version gives a player two hole cards to play with, whereas the more liberal Omaha poker provides one with four.
How to Play?
- A player is dealt four face down cards. This is the first variation, and if one were to play the version of Texas Hold’em. He/she would have been dealt two cards. This is the main difference set by Omaha Poker rules.
- This is followed by the dealing of five community cards.
- Next comes one more differentiating factor. A player must choose two of his four hole cards wisely, for he/she shall have to utilize them in order to have the best hand possible.
- You can choose to use any combination of two hole cards in Texas Hold’em, including the possibility of leaving one out altogether.
- According to Omaha poker rules. You must use two hole cards to achieve the best possible hand. If all spades are showing on the board, and you are holding an ace of spades and a king of clubs, you would have a flush in Texas Hold’em whereas you would simply be holding an ace high hand, since both cards must be used in Omaha poker. As you can probably understand this makes matters a bit complicated, and therefore a bit trickier due to various Omaha Poker rules.
Omaha Poker Variations
Generally three variations are associated while playing an Omaha Poker game.
- Omaha Hi- The highest five card hand makes away with the pot in this version of the game.
- Fixed Limit– A maximum of four times is the limit for the number of times a pot can be raised in this version. Also, bet or raise must be equal to the size of the blinds in this version. This version does not experience a lot of folding. Because it is relatively inexpensive to stay afloat.
- Omaha Hi/Low– In this common version. The pot is split between the highest and the lowest hand. The same player that holds the highest and the lowest card in their hand simultaneously is the winner in this adaptation of the game and takes home the entire pot.
Basic Strategy When Playing Omaha
Like in all things in life. Strategizing is a good habit. Playing a hand of Omaha Poker is no different. And it will do you all kinds of good if you learn to strategize in the right possible way. There are more than a few things you can keep in mind. And we help you by compiling a list of things that should become your top priorities:
- Be very mindful of your starting hands
- Choose your table carefully at all times
- Play your opponents across the table, not their hands
- Respect big bets and raises, do not rush passionately
- Do not chase a 8-way straight draw
- Bet on your best drawing hands
Now that we have taken you through the holes and burrows of Omaha Poker. We expect you can enjoy and play the game to the fullest of your content. However, we hope you won’t mind if we leave you with a few more pieces of paternal advice.
These are the ways of the poker online game. Remember to respect the game always, and use your skills to play to the best of your abilities. Never commit the mistake of letting emotions be the guiding factor as you head to a table, and always keep your observational skills ready to engage.
Play 2 Stellar Variants of Omaha Poker on PokerBaazi
PokerBaazi is a registered enterprise that helps everyone navigate through the world of Online Poker. The RNG certified online poker platform is legally sound and is a 100% certified website. PokerBaazi has been in operation since 2014 as per Governmental guidelines and encourages Responsible Gaming by offering practical measures to players across stakes to play responsibly.
Enjoy unlimited games and exclusive monthly events of 4 Card Omaha and 5 Card Omaha, win real cash and Loyalty Rewards throughout your run on PokerBaazi. Happy Gaming!